Friday, April 16, 2010

Champorado

One of my favourite home-made Filipino desserts is champorado. I'm not sure how this dish got its name, but in English I call it "chocolate rice". Which is pretty much what it is. (I suppose you can call it chocolate rice pudding.)

As a child, I loved the ritual of adding sugar to my bowl of champorado, followed by swirls of milk. 

 Ingredients: 

8 tbsp cocoa powder (or about 4 pieces tableya)
1 cup glutinous rice (malagkit)
1/2 cup sugar
3  1/2 cups water
condensed milk (optional)

 Cooking method:

1. Pour 2 1/2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
2. Put-in the glutinous rice and allow water to re-boil for a few minutes.
3. Dilute the cocoa powder in 1 cup warm water then pour-in the pot. Stir continuously.
4. Once the glutinous rice is cooked (about 12 to 18 minutes of cooking with constant stirring), add the sugar and cook for another 5 minutes or until the texture becomes thick.
5. Remove from the pot and place in a serving bowl.
6. Serve hot with a swirl of condensed milk on top.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Subscribe